Paul Preece is a photographer and scientist based in Oxford, England.
His interest in photography was born in the 1970s when, as a teenager in Wales, he bought a chemistry kit and a Russian Zenith suitcase with a portable darkroom inside. There followed many years of experimenting with traditional black and white photography which continues to the present day.
At some point in 2003, after losing his entire collection of 35mm negatives, he discovered view cameras and 5″x4″ negatives. It’s a format he fell quickly in love with due to the forced awareness derived from working with unwieldy and heavy equipment. The large format photographer has no choice but to slow down; things take forever, contemplation sets in and a single negative can take all day. Perfect.
- BSc Neuroscience, University College London (UCL).
- PhD Neuroscience, UCL & Caltech, Los Angeles, USA.
He has published scientific papers on Alzheimer’s Disease, gene expression and neuropathology. Link
- 2008 – Palacio de Conde Duque, Madrid, Spain. El Pais article.
- 2009 – Casino de Marbella, Spain.
- 2010 – Casino de La Coruña, Spain.
- 2011 – Museo do Pobo Galego, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- 2017 – The Other Art Fair, Saatchi, The Arnolfini, Bristol, UK. Link
- 2017 – Landmark Arts Centre, London.
- 2017 – Windsor Contemporary Art Fair.
- 2018 – Surrey Contemporary Art Fair.
- 2019 – The North Wall Arts Centre, Oxford, UK. www.thenorthwall.com